AUBERGINE PARMIGIANA = the perfect Monday night dinner 🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆
Aubergines are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fibre and are low in fat, making a super healthy, plant-based filling for currys and pasta dishes 😍
This is actually really easy to do and doesn’t take as long as you’d think! .
What you need (serves 4):✔️2 tbsp olive oil ✔️2 large aubergines ✔️2 cans chopped tomatoes ✔️2 cloves garlic, chopped finely ✔️ 3 tbsp red wine vinegar ✔️1 red onion, diced ✔️3tsp golden caster sugar ✔️2 tsp oregano ✔️100g Parmesan ✔️2 balls reduced fat mozzarella ✔️handful of bread crumbs .
1) Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the garlic and red onion for 2 minutes.
2) Add the tomatoes, vinegar, oregano and sugar, then simmer for 15 minutes until it thickens.
3) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C.
4) Then, slice the aubergines lengthways into 1-2cm thick slices and brush with oil.
5) Cook the aubergines on a griddle pan for a couple of minutes on either side until lightly browned.
6) In a medium sized roasting tin, add a layer of the tomato sauce, then a layer of the aubergines on top, then an extra layer of tomato sauce.
7) Sprinkle with Parmesan and salt and pepper.
8) Repeat layers until all the aubergine is used.
9) Add mozzarella slices and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top. Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese and breadcrumbs form a golden and crispy layer.
10) Serve with a side salad and some fresh basil if you’re feeling fancy. 💁🏽♀️